Glenn College
Q&A

[Business Translation (Advanced - ITT Level 1,2)] Module 1 E to K questions :)

Page

Name Seongeun Eo Date22-08-22 00:35 View1,771 Comment1

Content

Hey teacher:)
I have another question in Module 1 E to K lecture.

1) It seems you get right to the cute green frog that you have picked out,
sure that it has your name on it.

Here, the sentence "sure that it has your name on it" is connected to "It seems (that) ~" ?
According to the video, you translated like that way.
But for me, there is comma, not 'and', so I translated as a separate sentence.

2) the temptation is great to hang around the huge magazine racks and pick one up and leaf through it.
There are people who make a regular hobby out of it.

I wonder what "it" (a regular hobby out of it) refers to.
The translation says "it" means "leafing through magazines".
However, I thought "it" is "the temptation (hanging around the huge magazine racks and picking one up and leafing through it)".
Would you elaborate?

3) Now it’s so real that it’s hard to grasp.
현재로서는 이러한 것이 너무나 사실적이어서 그 경계를 파악하기 힘들다.

I want to know the translation in detail because there is no "경계' in the sentence, but you added the word by using "it".
But I thought "it" (it's hard to grasp) refers to the previous sentence : "Having everything at one’s fingertips, as it is today, was the stuff of science fiction."

I hope you can answer soon!
Thanks always:D

Comment list

Mason 님의 댓글

Mason 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hello Seongeun!

Here are my answers to your questions!

1) It seems you get right to the cute green frog that you have picked out,
sure that it has your name on it.

Here, the sentence "sure that it has your name on it" is connected to "It seems (that) ~" ?
According to the video, you translated like that way.
But for me, there is comma, not 'and', so I translated as a separate sentence.

-> The phrase ‘sure that it has your name on it’ is merely just adding an extra remark about the green frog in the original sentence. Whether you combine this into one sentence or splitting into two sentences shouldn’t really matter.

Let me give you an example:

“His name is Mason. He is a Korean man.”

Let’s try to translate the sentences above.

1. 그의 이름은 메이슨이다. 그는 한국인 남성이다.
2. 그의 이름은 메이슨이고 한국인 남성이다.

Do you believe the sentence #1 is more correct than the #2? I am saying that is not correct. Both #1 and #2 are fine translation in my opinion because they are both carrying the exact same meaning of the original sentence. Now of course, we often want to think about the "legibility" (가독성) and say #2 might be a better option but I want us to focus on delivering the correct meaning right now. Do not worry about the sentence structure of the original language because it often does not get translated accurately.

————————————————————————————————

2) the temptation is great to hang around the huge magazine racks and pick one up and leaf through it.
There are people who make a regular hobby out of it.

I wonder what "it" (a regular hobby out of it) refers to.
The translation says "it" means "leafing through magazines".
However, I thought "it" is "the temptation (hanging around the huge magazine racks and picking one up and leafing through it)".
Would you elaborate?

-> Here, the word “temptation” is going to be understood as “~~을 하고 싶은 충동/유혹” and that is for “잡지를 구매하지 않고 매장에서 잡지를 읽고 싶은 유혹/충동” right?

Now, saying that making a hobby out of “temptation” would be essentially saying “잡지를 구매하지 않고 매장에서 잡지를 읽고 싶은 충동을 취미로 갖는것”.
which is put less awkwardly when you say “잡지를 구매하지 않고 매장에서 잡지를 읽는 취미를 갖는 것"

3) Now it’s so real that it’s hard to grasp.
현재로서는 이러한 것이 너무나 사실적이어서 그 경계를 파악하기 힘들다.

I want to know the translation in detail because there is no "경계' in the sentence, but you added the word by using "it".
But I thought "it" (it's hard to grasp) refers to the previous sentence : "Having everything at one’s fingertips, as it is today, was the stuff of science fiction."

-> You look at my translation and you see the word “경계” and you are thinking “Why did Mason say ‘경계’? I don’t see any English word like ‘boundary’ in the original sentence.”

If above is happening, we are understanding something fundamentally wrong, Seongeun. Translation is NOT about translating every single word, word-for-word. You want to focus on meaning. What the sentence is trying to say in original language. So essentially, what we need to do is deliver what the sentence is trying to say, what it is implying.

When you say “it’s hard to grasp” it will be “잡기 힘들다, 이해하기 힘들다 etc”

Now understanding that they are talking about this science fiction, reality vs virtual reality, etc, you understand it is saying “현실세계와 가상세계가 어떻게 다른지 파악하기 힘들다”. This is what it is trying to say.

I hope this makes sense!

Best regards,

Mason U, CMI-Korean
Business Interpretation and Translation in Korean (BIT-K) Instructor

Entrance Test

Take the Glenn College Online
Entrance Test

Go to Classroom

Access to programs
enrolled students

Registration